NYC Debt Collection Harassment Lawyer
Types of Debt Collection Harassment
There are many laws in place that strictly govern the behavior of creditors and debt collectors. Unfortunately, these laws are not always followed, and in some cases are completely ignored. A large number of creditors and collectors engage in harassing or abusive behavior in attempting to collect debts, hoping that they will frighten debtors into paying what they owe. If you have experienced harassment of any type on the part of a creditor or collector, it is important that you contact a New York City debt collection defense lawyer immediately. A lawyer can take legal action that is designed to protect you from harassment, and possibly recover damages for the mental and emotional suffering you have endured.
A federal law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) protects consumers from predatory collection practices.
This law prohibits creditors and collectors from employing harassing tactics such as:
- Calling consumers at odd hours (before 8 am or after 9 pm)
- Calling a consumer's place of employment, even after the consumer has informed them that they may not call there
- Using any type of misrepresentation
- Threatening consumers with legal action if no such action is intended
- Threatening consumers with arrest
- Communicating with consumers even after a request has been received to cease communication, unless it is necessary to provide notification of a lawsuit
- Calling consumers repeatedly with the intent to annoy, harass, or abuse
- Discussing a consumer's debt with a third party, such as an employer or family member
Protection Against Creditor Harassment
Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C. provides aggressive debt collection defense services to individuals throughout New York City. Our legal team is prepared to defend you against collection harassment, as well as pursue compensation for the violation of your rights.
Are you being harassed by a creditor or debt collector? Contact our firm for aggressive assistance in your case.