Notice: Due to government restrictions imposed in response to the COVID-19 crisis, we are currently conducting all consultations via video, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Default Judgments & Credit Reports

By Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Many consumers discover that a default judgment has been placed on their credit report when they apply for a mortgage, credit card, car loan or some other credit based product or service. Often times they ask me, “can’t I just call up the credit card company and settle the account?” Alas, these matters are never that simple. My clients are often surprised to find that simply paying a judgment is not the solution that they are looking for.

There is a big reason that client’s hire us to file papers in court to VACATE a default judgment. Aside from stopping a wage garnishment or a levy or garnishment of their bank accounts, clients also want the judgment removed from their credit reports.

Simply settling and paying a judgment will not remove a judgment from your credit report. At best the default judgment will be marked satisfied but will remain on the credit report. This is still considered a negative item and will have a major impact on your credit score.

In order to remove a judgment, an attorney must file papers on your behalf to vacate the judgment. This means that, if applicable, the attorney will ask to judge to “cancel” the judgment as though it never happened in the first place. Once that happens the judgment can be removed from your credit report. The lawyer can then settle the account for a reduced amount and very affordable payment plan.

A vacated judgment will come off your credit report even during the payment plan, however a satisfied judgment will stay on.

If you have a judgment on your credit report give us a call today. Our services include

  • Writing the court documents for you.
  • Drafting the affidavits that you will need to sign
  • Communicating with the court personnel on your behalf
  • Traveling and appearing at court dates so that you will not have to appear
  • Communicating with and negotiating with the lawyers for the credit card company.
  • Making sure this judgment is permanently remove from your credit report when it is vacated.

Send us an email or give us a call today. If you call and we are not available please leave us a detailed message and someone will call you back right away.