Notice: Due to government restrictions imposed in response to the COVID-19 crisis, we are currently conducting all consultations via video, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Clean Credit for 2014

By Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C.

New Year’s time brings resolutions for us all. Whether our resolutions involve weight loss or re-connecting with family and friends, oftentimes our resolutions are soon forgotten. However, if your resolution involves improving your financial outlook, then checking your credit report for judgments is a must do.

Oftentimes a creditor may sue you and get a judgment against you without your knowledge. This is called a default judgment. You may not even realize this until you go to apply for an auto loan, apartment, mortgage, or car insurance. Then you are given the surprising and embarrassing news that you have a judgment on your credit report. This will often result in either a denial of credit or higher interest rates and fees.

Although creditors can sue you, only the courts can issue a judgment against you. Thus, you have to go back to court to ask the court to vacate, lift, or cancel the judgment. Many times, consumers will make a deal to pay off a judgment without going to court. In these cases, the judgment will be vacated but will not go anywhere. It will simply be marked “satisfied.”

You should always retain an experienced attorney such as those at the Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C. to represent you in these cases. We can file the papers and make the court appearances so that you do not have to miss valuable time from work. We can also work hard and push to get a fair and affordable payment plan that includes a cancellation of the judgment against you. The collection agencies have aggressive attorneys who can convince you to sign papers that cause you to lose important rights that you need in order to get rid of a court judgment. That is why calling the Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C. is always the best first step in getting rid of these items.

If you have a judgment lurking on your credit report that you do not know how to handle, contact the Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C. today by calling us at (212) 766-3323 or by sending an email to