Notice: Due to government restrictions imposed in response to the COVID-19 crisis, we are currently conducting all consultations via video, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

TICK TOCK: The Judgment Is Being Enforced and Time Is Running Out!

By Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Let’s face it: most people don’t know that they have a judgment against them until it’s too late. The credit collection agencies are sneaky and oftentimes will wait until they get a default judgment or until they freeze your bank account before you find out about the judgment. Or even worse – they send an embarrassing notice to your job to garnish your wages. What should you do? Well, the last thing that you should do is ignore it. In fact, in most states you have a strict deadline to do something from the DATE OF THE NOTICE (not the date you received it) in order to do something to clear up this mess.

In most states, the deadline is 20 days, although some many states will give you 30 days. Once this time period has expired, the bank will send your hard earned money to the collection company. You should almost always get a lawyer to help you with all judgments, i.e. credit card judgment, medical collections, etc. Why? Well think about it: the greedy debt collectors don’t go to court by themselves to get the judgment against you. Anything that has to do with court is complicated and they don’t want to take the risk of losing, so why should you?

Hire an attorney such as Abel L. Pierre, Esq. who understands the nitty gritty of collection law. Also, do not wait until the deadline has almost expired before you contact a lawyer. Your lawyer will most likely have to write an affidavit for you to sign. It may take a few days or up to a week to write the affidavit and for you to receive sign and send back. Be sure to allow for this time period.

Remember, whether your paycheck is being garnished or your bank account is frozen, call the Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C. at (888) 682-2165 to assist you in getting rid of your default judgment immediately.