Abel L. Pierre – Biography
New York City Debt Collection Defense Attorney
Mr. Pierre firmly believes that quality legal service represents an attorneys'
commitment to protecting all aspects of its client's needs.
Attorney Abel L. Pierre entered Fordham University School of Law after
graduating Magna Cum Laude from John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
At Fordham Mr. Pierre received a sound background in commercial and entertainment law.
Mr. Pierre began his legal career as a legal advisor with the New York
City Council. There Mr. Pierre, gained a unique insight and understanding
of the legislative and public procurement process. Mr. Pierre then entered
private practice where he had the privilege to represent clients in a
variety of matters ranging from bankruptcy cases, credit-debtor cases,
credit card cases, foreclosure defense, debt collection harassment matters.
The Law Office of Abel L. Pierre, Attorney at Law, P.C. has also developed
a solid track record by representing clients in bankruptcy court. Mr.
Pierre has also successfully litigated federal lawsuits on behalf of consumers
who have been victimized by the brutal tactics of bill collectors and
In 2010 Mr. Pierre was sworn in as an Arbitrator for the Small Claims Court
of the City of New York. He is also admitted to practice before United
States Federal Court.
Mr. Pierre is a proud member of the National Association of Consumer Law
Advocates; The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; New York
County Lawyer's Association; The Brooklyn Bar Association and Queens County
In his spare time Mr. Pierre enjoys playing the drums and trumpet, weightlifting
and practicing aikido.
FORDHAM UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, NEW YORK, NY
- Activities: Fordham Environmental Law Journal 8/99-5/00
JOHN JAY COLLEGE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE, NEW YORK, NY
- Bachelor of Arts, June 1998
- Honors: Dean’s List 1994-1998
- Admitted to the New York State Bar
- Admitted to United States Federal Court Southern, Eastern, Western, and
Northern Districts of New York.
- Arbitrator, Small Claims Court of the Civil Court of the City of New York
LAW OFFICE OF ABEL L. PIERRE, ATTORNEY AT LAW, P.C.
- Litigating collection abuse and harassment claims on behalf of consumers
pursuant the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
- Pursuing relief from wage garnishments and bank account liens on behalf
- Litigating wage and hour cases on behalf of laborers pursuant the Fair
Labor Standard Practices Act (FLSA).
- Litigating Administrative Hearings and Appeals on behalf of employees Pursuant
to the New York State Unemployment Insurance Law.
Legal Associate 9/04-8/05
- Supervise legal support staff.
- Conducted and defended extensive depositions of all parties including non-party
- Wrote detailed case reports summarizing the legal and factual strengths
and shortcomings of cases.
- Conducted open argument before judges and arbitrators pursuant to personal
injury and No-Fault matters.
- Appeared in Supreme Court, Civil Court and Appellate Division, State of
New York for preliminary, compliance, and pre-trial conferences.
Legal Associate 6/03-9/04
- Supervised, interviewed, and reviewed legal support staff.
- Wrote and argued substantive and procedural motions pursuant to various
insurance litigation matters.
- Conducted frequent trial conferences with judge and court personnel.
- Developed and implemented litigation strategy.
- Negotiated case settlements.
Legal Associate 2/03-4/03
- Researched and drafted legal memoranda pursuant to criminal and civil rights
- Drafted various legal pleadings included summons and complaints.
Legal Consultant & Public Relations Advisor 4/02-2/03
- Serve as a liaison between corporation and government entities.
- Advised corporation on various public relations matters.
Legal Advisor 2/02-6/03
- Planned various events including cultural and community events.
- Identified and secured capital finance sources for various non-profit groups.
- Analyzed legal issues pursuant to presented legislation.
- Represented the councilmember at numerous board meetings.
Law Clerk 5/00-10/00
- Conducted extensive document review pursuant to theft of trade secret litigation
- Drafted legal memoranda regarding trademarks and copyright litigation.
- Commenced action and obtained judge’s signature on temporary restraining
order pursuant to Yellowstone motion.
- Filed and served various pleadings and motions at state and federal courts.
Legal Intern Fall 1999
- Researched intellectual property law and wrote memoranda pursuant to client
matters. Issues included whether client could maintain action for trademark
and copyright infringement for unauthorized use of his trade name in clothing catalog.
Legal Intern 6/99-8/99
- Assigned to Bus Stop Structure Project
- Performed duties pertinent to maintaining franchisee compliance with Bus
Stop Structure franchise contract.
Research Assistant 1/99-12/99
- Researched various contract issues and wrote memorandum in preparation
for textbook and horn book on contracts.
- Key issues included whether take-or-pay clauses in gas production contracts
amounted to liquidated damages clauses or unenforceable penalty clauses.
Assistant Adjunct Professor 8/02-9/04
- Lectured students regarding the fundamentals of criminal law and American
General Counsel 2/07-Present
- Represented the organization on a variety of transactional and litigation matters.
Assistant Treasurer 4/99-2/07
- Maintained key confidential records.
- Fluent in Haitian Creole.
For Additional Information about Abel L. Pierre Click Here
View the firm's profile at